Blog #9- In media we trust
My view on media has improved since being in this class. I am more critical of the information I am taking in and where it came from. We learned in this class that there are many different media types, and we must decide what is true.
One way to determine whether the information you are taking in is true is credibility. Social media, news stations, and online articles are all types of media that have to be questioned and analyzed to know if they are true. I consume most of my news from social media, which is not good, and I have been more careful not to believe everything. It is easy to want to accept information on social media that you agree with or want to be true. Since I understand the media more, I do more background research before I believe something. There are so many different areas of influence of social media it is necessary to be critical. One example is skin care products recommendations on TikTok and Instagram. There are many different videos and different "experts" who all recommend different products to have a clear, smooth face. Some people may see the first video and buy the products trusting that it will work for them. Everyone's face is different, and the same product may only work for some. When I see a product that may interest me, I do more research to see what result it gives and if it would benefit me. In conclusion, I don't trust everything I see or read on social media.
One way I have noticed the influence media has on people is the trends on social media. New sayings and quirky hand movements are always starting. 90% of teens in America have social media and are highly influenced by it. I notice how fast something goes from being on social media to the people around me. I fall into this too from being active on social media, and it is easy to pick up new sayings when people around you are using it. Fashion trends are another thing that spreads fast through different mediums. Fashion is a medium itself, and I see the influence it has in my church. Most fashion trends start online, but I notice at my church once one girl starts wearing something new, many other girls follow. I see social media influencing the world all the time.
Media is a big part of our world now and influences everyone. It is hard to live in today's world and not be influenced because it is everywhere. That is why we need to be critical of the information we are taking in.
Thanks for reading!


Comments
Post a Comment