Blog #7- #ilovehashtags


    The big question: What is a hashtag? I always use hashtags, but I don’t know if I could correctly define what it is. I would say a hashtag is a hashtag symbol followed by a keyword or phrase many people can use to connect related posts. For example, when using a hashtag on Instagram, anyone can click on the hashtag, bringing you to a page with all the posts using that hashtag. There are also other ways to use a hashtag, such as using them in my conversations for fun. 

    According to the Oxford English Dictionary, a hashtag is “a word or phrase preceded by a hash sign (#), used on social media sites and applications, especially Twitter, to identify digital content on a specific topic.” They connect social media content to a specific topic, event, or theme. Hashtags can really bring a community together. If someone is interested in a group or movement, they can look up the hashtag on a social media platform and find a community of people. Hashtags are most popularly used on Twitter and Instagram but can be used on any social media platform. One experience I have with using a hashtag for an event was at a wedding. Anyone who posted photos used #soandso’swedding, and then all the photos from different people showed up on the same page after clicking the hashtag. It was really cool! 

    Another big area that uses hashtags is politics. Social media is a big outlet for politics, and hashtags make it easier for people to navigate and notice. They are used as a tool for promoting political messages and campaigning. Some hashtags become trendy fast and are a great way to share current information about the political world. Using hashtags is also a way to be politically active. Hashtags are significant in the political, professional, cultural, and social world. 



                                                                          
Image source: myself 

    I like using and exploring hashtags on my social media. I don’t use them often because I don’t post much, but they are fun to explore. One hashtag I like to explore is #fashion. I enjoy keeping up with fashion trends and getting new inspiration. It is easy to search for the hashtag on Instagram, and recent posts with the hashtag in the caption pop up. It is also a fun way for people to use the hashtag to share their style. 


#hashtags for the win 


Thanks for reading!


Comments

Popular Posts