The Importance of Blog Structure Entry #0

    How many times have you clicked on a blog without thinking about it? Have you ever seen a recipe on Pinterest and clicked on it to bring you to a blog? Or did you look up the current top ten artists? There are probably many times you look up a recommendation or something about a hobby, and a blog pulls up. 
    When I first heard that we had to create a blog, I didn’t have a strong understanding of what a blog was. The more I started researching, I realized I look at blogs all the time. One example is when I am traveling somewhere new or want an idea of where to travel next. I may search for something such as “Top ten places to travel to in Europe”, and a blog pulls up. It will usually include information about the place, accommodations, food recommendations, and activities to do in the area. Travel blogs are more on the opinionated side, but it is nice to know what experiences people have rather than only facts from an educational website. A few other blogs I frequent are Lifestyle, Cooking, and Nursing. Some popular blogs people like are sports, music, and media. Take a second and think about blogs you may visit on a regular basis. 
    Moving on, there is one thing that stands out to me when reading a blog. You may have already guessed it by the title… the structure! Having a good structure for your blog is crucial to engaging readers. By first glance at your page, someone is more likely to stick around if they can easily navigate your blog than if they have to search for a while to find what they are looking for. You can read more about the importance of blog structure here.
    The first blog I want to talk about is The Skinny Confidential. I have heard of the podcast before and did some research about the blog. The Skinny Confidential blog is about living a clean lifestyle, and the blog vibe matches.  I like lifestyle blogs and enjoyed reading the entries. One of the first things I noticed was how aesthetic and structured the blog was. There were clear headings and a row of blog entries with pictures that popped up after clicking on them. It was very minimalistic, but still had many pictures of the products or items that were mentioned. Another thing is that the blog was very easy to navigate and you can find what you are looking for. The Skinny Confidential is a good example of what a structured blog looks like. 



    On the other hand, we have a not-so-structured blog called billboard. There is a big difference between the style blog of “TheSkinnyConfidential” and “Billboard." Billboard is a digital music blog that covers charts, music, culture, media, and business. There are many more topics covered than music. You can find top charts and new artist’s releases, but also new stories about artists. Although there are different headings to organize the blog, it is still very busy. The picture below is a screenshot of the home page and you can see there are many different links to click on. There is some structure, but overall too much going on.





    In conclusion, structure is one of the most important parts of a blog and makes a big difference in reader engagement. When blogs are structured they are easy to navigate and nice on the eyes. Thanks for reading and hope you come back for more!








Comments

Popular Posts